When coming off the pill we want to support the bodies communication to the ovaries which gets shut down when taking the pill. Supporting the brains communication to the ovaries is what triggers ovulation (the release of an egg) and this is how we make oestrogen and progesterone.
The combined oral contraceptive pill (OCP) is most commonly used and contains synthetic oestrogen and progestin. Progestin is not the same as our natural progesterone. The mini-pill contains progestin only (levonorgestrel) and no synthetic oestrogen. The morning after pill contains a very very high amount of levonorgestrel.
When we cease taking the pill there can be a flare up of androgens. Androgens are male-type hormones such as testosterone. We want to lower our production of androgens as this is what can cause post-pill acne.
To prevent a flare up of androgens after taking the pill, focus on:
- Healthy fats with each meal – think avocado, oily fish, olives and olive oil
- Focus on protein with each meal – one palm size of animal protein (fish, eggs, meat) or two palm sizes of plant protein (lentils, chickpeas, etc)
- Eat enough carbohydrates: sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa, etc
- Support liver detoxification of hormones with daily broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, pak choy, onion and garlic
- Enjoy ovulation/progesterone supporting foods: chicken, oysters, bananas, broccoli, nuts and seeds – especially sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine to support your livers clearance of hormones
- Ensure 2-3L filtered water daily
- Avoid all plastics, xenoestrogens and hormone disrupting chemicals
- Drink green tea, dandelion tea and chicory root tea to support liver clearance of hormones
There are also specific nutrients, supplements and herbs which are extremely beneficial at rebalancing hormones when coming off the pill and reducing any side effects such as acne and weight gain. These will be unique to your whole health and depend on any other symptoms you are experiencing.
For hormone health appointments please email email@example.com